Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Rough Page layout of Plane/Villain Crash Scene

Page layout by Ricardo Serrano (using Comical)

      This is a very rough page layout of the plane/villain crash scene. As of now I think the sequence will be better spaced out if spread over two pages instead of one. The point is to keep both stories speaking to each other, at least for the first half of it. As is evident, panel work will be the main selling point of the story.

     I am still experimenting with different narrative devices, trying to make sense of how the actual paneling might work. I am pushing for the following structure: Story A (superhero) keeps to the upper part of the page while Story B (terrorist) stays on the lower part. This approach was used in Jeff Lemire's Trillium (2013), a science fiction/ time-travel/ love story of a man and a woman trying to make sense of their connections whilst unstuck in the universe's time stream. In the issues where one character is on one timeline and the other character in another, Lemire resorted to two, half-page, narratives per page (one perspective on the top of the page and the other perspective below).

     As I write the the first draft of the script I find myself favoring this kind of approach more and more. And still, I do not believe I will need to conform to one very strict paneling style, even if its experimental. The point is not to go too crazy and to keep things coherent. Either way, the above image is to be taken as a glimpse of what it is I am trying to do with the story.

-Ricardo Serrano

No comments:

Post a Comment